Breakout Rooms allow you to split your Zoom meeting in up to 50 separate sessions. The meeting host can choose to split the participants of the meeting into these separate sessions automatically or manually, and can switch between sessions at any time.
- Up to 50 breakout rooms can be created
- Max 200 participants in a breakout room (requires Large Meeting 200 add-on)
- Breakout room participants have full audio, video and screen share capabilities
See Getting Started with Breakout Rooms for information on how to enable Breakout Rooms for your account.
You can also share Participating in Breakout Rooms with your meeting participants for some information on using breakout rooms as a participant.
This article covers:
- Creating Breakout Rooms
- Assigning Participants to Rooms
- Preparing Breakout Rooms
- Managing Breakout Rooms - In Progress
- Ask for Help
- Broadcasting a Message to Breakout Rooms
- Breakout rooms enabled in your Meetings Settings
- PC Version 3.5.31087.1102 or higher
- Mac Version 3.5.31087.1102 or higher
- Linux Version 2.0.81497.1116 or higher
- Chrome Version 2.4.943.510 or higher
- Start an instant or scheduled meeting.
- Select Breakout Rooms.
- Select the number of rooms you would like to create, and how you would like to assign your participants to those rooms.
- Automatically: Let Zoom split your participants up evenly into each of the rooms
- Manually: Choose which participants you would like in each room
- Click Create Breakout Rooms.
You rooms will be created, but will not start automatically. Once the rooms are created, you can manage the rooms prior to starting them.
To assign participants to your Breakout Rooms, select Assign next to the room you wish to assign participants to and select the checkbox next to each participant you wish to assign to that room. Repeat this for each room.
Once a participant has been assigned (manually or automatically), the number of participants will show in place of the Assign button.
If you selected to assign participants to rooms Automatically, your rooms will appear with the participants assigned evenly across your rooms. If you chose to assign participants manually or wish to make changes, you can do so before starting the rooms. Participants who are not assigned to breakout sessions will remain in the main meeting when the rooms are started.
- Move to (participant): select a room to move the participant to
- Exchange (participant): select a participant in another room to swap the selected participant with
- Delete Room: delete the selected room
- Recreate: allows you to recreate the same breakout rooms
- Add a Room: add another Breakout Room
- Open All Rooms: start the rooms. All participants will be moved to their respective rooms after confirming the prompt to join the Breakout Room. The host will be left in the main meeting until manually joining one of the rooms. The participants (and the host when manually joining a room) will see the message shown below when being moved to the Breakout Room.
Once the Breakout Rooms have been started, the participants will be asked to join the Breakout Session. The host will stay in the main meeting until joining a session manually. If a participant has not joined the session yet, it will be noted by "(not joined)" next to their name.
- Join (room): allows the host to join the breakout room selected
- Leave (room): allows the host to leave the room and return to the main meeting (only shows when in a Breakout Room)
- Stop All Rooms: Will stop all rooms after a 60 second countdown, shown to the host and participants, and return all participants back to the main meeting.
Participants in the Breakout Rooms can request that the meeting host join their meeting by pressing Ask for Help in the menu bar.
The meeting Host will be prompted to join the room where the request originated from. Select Join Breakout Room to join the room.
The host can broadcast a message to all breakout rooms to share information with all participants.